DTEK50 delivers BlackBerry’s unmatched security, privacy and productivity to price-conscious consumers and businesses
Malaysia, October 4, 2016 – BlackBerry Limited, a global leader in mobile communications, announced today that DTEK50TM, the world’s most secure Android smartphone, is now available in Malaysia. Fully equipped with Android Marshmallow 6.0, DTEK50 combines BlackBerry’s unique security, privacy and productivity with the full Android experience in an all-touch design, at a price point that’s accessible for consumers and ideal for enterprise fleet deployment. From today, the BlackBerry DTEK50 is available exclusively through leading retail store partners of BrightStar Malaysia at RRP RM1,339, inclusive of GST.
“We take our customers’ privacy seriously. That’s why we’re proud to have all the security and privacy functionality that is built in our newest Android smartphone. DTEK50 merges the unique security and connectivity features BlackBerry is known for with the rich Android ecosystem,” said Ralph Pini, Chief Operating Officer and General Manager, Mobility Solutions, BlackBerry. “DTEK50 adds to BlackBerry’s lineup of secure smartphones, providing choices to our customers with different price points on both BlackBerry 10 and Android platforms.”
Android Security at the Forefront
In a recent survey1 of Android smartphone users, BlackBerry found that 50 percent believe their smartphone is only somewhat secure, and what’s more, despite data security fears, one in six Android users don’t know about Android security patches.
“With an increase in cybercrime on smartphones, people need to recognize that the private details of their lives – where they live, their bank info, pictures of their kids – are at risk on their personal device. You wouldn’t leave the doors of your house unlocked at night. Having a smartphone that doesn’t take your privacy seriously is the equivalent,” said David Kleidermacher, Chief Security Officer, BlackBerry. “It’s equally important for businesses to protect their sensitive data from cyberattacks at all points of their mobile environment – from the device to the network and servers.”
DTEK50 was designed to address the security and privacy needs of today’s uncompromising Android users. With BlackBerry’s unique built-in hardware security, DTEK50 encrypts all users’ information, including business critical data and personal data such as pictures, videos and contacts. Malware protection is also built-in along with back-up, wipe and restore capabilities. BlackBerry also delivers security patches on the same day that Google publicly releases information about them, while many popular Android smartphones put the users’ private information at risk of being hacked due to slow security updates
Features that make DTEK50 the most secure Android smartphone, include:
- Rapid Security Patching:BlackBerry has a record of being the quickest to deliver security patches, setting the bar in incident response and patch management to protect your device from malicious threats.
- DTEK™ by BlackBerry App:Enables users to automatically monitor their OS and apps to know when their privacy could be at risk and to take action to improve it. The DTEK app also tracks applications and notifies you when someone is: taking pictures or videos without your knowledge, turning your microphone on, sending a text message, or accessing your contacts or location.
- Hardware Root of Trust:BlackBerry’s manufacturing process uses a proprietary technique that adds security from the start, allowing for the tracking, verification and provisioning of DTEK50.
- Secure Boot Process:Starting with the root of trust, each stage of DTEK50’s secure boot chain must first verify that the next component is fully intact before proceeding, ensuring your device has not been tampered with since the last restart.
- Android OS hardening: BlackBerry provides additional security patches, zygote ASLR and pathtrust to make it more difficult for attackers to target a device by scrambling application/system memory.
- FIPS 140-2 Compliant Full Disk Encryption: Protects your private information, like pictures or bank information, from being stolen if you were to lose your phone.
Ready to Work
DTEK50 combines BlackBerry’s enterprise management solutions to produce a powerful device capable of powering any work day. Key features include:
- Full Enterprise Mobility Management Support:DTEK50 supports BlackBerry’s powerful suite of EMM applications and secure productivity solutions, including: WatchDox by BlackBerry for secure file-sharing, Good Work for business-class email and collaboration tools, Strong Authentication by BlackBerry as a VPN solution, SecuSUITE for Enterprise for secure voice and instant messaging communication, BBM Protected for encrypted messaging and BES12 for secure cross-platform management.
Design Meets Function
DTEK50, BlackBerry’s thinnest device ever, represents the best of BlackBerry with Android to make users more productive and responsive, pairing security with intelligent design. Key features include:
- Customizable BlackBerry Convenience Key:With the press of a button, the Convenience Key provides quick access to your most used applications and more.
- Dazzling Camera:DTEK50 is engineered to deliver professional-looking photos with an 8MP front facing camera and a 13MP auto-focus rear camera. Plus, features like Phase Detection Auto Focus and a dual-tone LED flash are designed to help the camera focus instantly and accurately for a blur-free, realistic looking photos, even in low light.
For more information on where to purchase the DTEK50 kindly visit http://bstar.me/blackberry
1 Survey was administered to 8,000 Android smartphone users between 35 and 54 years old in the US by using Google Consumer Surveys. Responses were collected from April 8 to 13, 2016.
2 The $168 monthly fee is a net monthly fee arrived at after deducting a monthly rebate. Subscription to a designated $198 plan is required, and a $30 rebate per month will be credited to the customer’s mobile number billing account during the contract period. Customers need to sign a 28-month contract, prepay $1,380 (prepayment will be credited to a customer’s mobile number billing account by installments during the contract period) and pay the first monthly fee. Customers are also required to pay an $18 per month admin fee.